Logo © One Movie, Five Views - Header design by Erin V.

Tuesday, May 12, 2009

C'est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) DVD Review

C'est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) - A E1 Films Release


On DVD: May 12th, 2009

http://www.cestpasmoijelejure.com/

Rated G


Running time: 110 minutes.


Philippe Falardeau (dir.)

Philippe Falardeau (writer)

Bruno Hébert (book)

Patrick Watson (music)


Antoine L'Écuyer as Léon Doré

Suzanne Clément as Madeleine Doré

Daniel Brière as Philippe Doré

Catherine Faucher as Léa

Gabriel Maillé as Jérôme Doré


Our reviews below:

_____________________________________________

C’est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) Review By John C.

**1/2 (out of 4) (Pretty Good)

When we first meet 10 year old Leon, he is hanging himself from a tree. His mother gets quite irate and tries to cut down the tree, his older brother Jerome wishes he had a normal brother who didn’t try to kill himself as much. I’m not sure if this makes any sense, but C’est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!), is better than I thought it would be, but not as good as I hoped it would be. First of all, the film is to long by about 20 minutes. With tighter editing, this could have been done in 90, rather 110 minutes. This film is labeled as a “Comedy, Drama”, but don’t mistake this for light and fun popcorn entertainment, it’s actually a bit disturbing. This is the kind of script that requires the main character’s mother, who is just as messed up as her kid, if not more so, to have just ran away to Greece. Because if she hadn’t we wouldn’t feel a grain of sympathy for her kid as he breaks into the neighbors house and trashes it. A lot of the time the kid is just being a brat, but his mother having left, I suppose, is meant to justify his behavior.


I didn’t hate this film, but I certainly did not love it. I was pretty much indifferent to it. I was glad I saw it, but I don’t feel any need to watch it again. Although I must say, there is so much talk about this film, that it’s worth seeing just so you know what everyone's talking about.


The DVD includes the film in French, with fairly easy to read English subtitles. It also includes three featurettes and the films trailer. All special features are in French only.

_____________________________________________

C’est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) Review By Erin V.

**1/2 (out of 4)

C'est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! - It's Not Me, I Swear!, is an interesting film, but not one that is all that memorable when compared to other independent films out there. The movie opens with the main character, Léon, age 10, trying to hang himself in the front yard. Apart from attempting suicide from time to time throughout the movie, he also vandalizes the neighbour house while they are on vacation. There is no mystery in the film where Léon gets his behaviours from - his mother is just as happy to egg the houses on the street as he is. When his mother leaves for Greece, the separation from his mother devastates him, and his behaviour doesn't get any better. With the girl - who has family problems of her own - across the street, whom he befriends, he makes a plan to run away. Destination? Greece.


The movie has decent acting from it's young cast members, as well as it's older ones. I found many of the plot points kind of annoying to watch, in part due to the fact that the main character is kind of unlikable. Overall, this is an interesting film, that is pretty good if you want to check it out on DVD. It's not one that I would want to watch again and again, but I didn't mind seeing this one once.

_____________________________________________

C’est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) Review By Nicole

**1/2 (out of 4)

N/A

_____________________________________________

C’est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) Review By Maureen

**1/2 (out of 4)

N/A

_____________________________________________

C’est Pas Moi, Je Le Jure! (It’s Not Me, I Swear!) Review By Tony

**1/2 (out of 4)

N/A

_____________________________________________

Consensus: While it’s far from a bad film, it’s not as memorable, nor as good as it could have been. Worth checking out if you’re interested in film, or just curious to see what everyone’s been talking about. **1/2 (Out of 4)

No comments: