Logo © One Movie, Five Views - Header design by Erin V.

Friday, September 4, 2009

Upcoming Fall Films

By John C.


The fall movie season is usually known for the awards contenders and big holiday blockbusters. This year is no different, with films about vampires, Wild Things, and an abused teenage girl in a rough neighbourhood in Harlem, rounding out this fall's slate.


These are the fall films, coming out between October 2nd and November 25th, that I’m looking forward to the most. I’m not listing every one, just the big titles that I’ve been waiting for for a while.


On October 2nd there’s the Toy Story 1/2 3D double-bill. There’s also Whip It, starring Ellen Page, which looks good. And more importantly the Coen Brothers A Serious Man. Which I think looks brilliant.


On October 16th there’s Where The Wild Things Are, which looks like an incredibly moving emotional masterwork from director Spike Jonze. I’m hugely anticipating this film.


On October 23rd there’s Amelia. A bio-pic of Amelia Earhart starring Hilary Swank and Richard Gere. I have a feeling this will get a Best Picture nomination. There’s also An Education, featuring a performance by newcomer Carey Mulligan that has been getting awards buzz since Sundance.


On November 6th there’s A Christmas Carol. Directed by Robert Zemeckis using the same mo-cap format as The Polar Express. I think this film looks absolutely amazing. The Polar Express is one of my favorite Christmas films, and this one looks to be just as good.


Originally going to open on August 28th under the name The Boat That Rocked, Richard Curtis’ upcoming film will now be released on November 13th under the new title Pirate Radio. The film looks very good none the less.


Fantastic Mr. Fox also opens on November 13th. Wes Anderson’s stop-motion adaptation of Roald Dahl’s book has a very interesting visual style. It’s likely destined to get mixed reviews, but I think it looks good. I’m looking forward to seeing this one.


For November 20th there’s The Twilight Saga: New Moon. My main reason for wanting to see this film is because it’s been buzzed about for so long, and I want to see what all the hype’s over. I just hope the special effects are better than in the first one.


Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire also opens on the 20th of November. It’s the story of an abused teenage girl growing up in a rough neighbourhood in Harlem. Already a festival favorite, I have a feeling this film will go on to enjoy much awards season attention. It will more than likely be nominated for Best Picture, and I have a feeling it may be headed down a similar path as last year’s Slumdog Millionaire. I can’t really say, I haven’t seen the film yet.


On November 25th there’s Nine. Not to be mistaken with the animated films 9 or $9.99. This film’s a musical from the director of Chicago, Rob Marshall. It features an all-star cast, and if it lives up to the high expectations, it will be amazing.


We will hopefully be having reviews of all these films when they come out.

No comments: