Logo © One Movie, Five Views - Header design by Erin V.

Monday, March 1, 2010

Movie Review: Best Picture Nominee Avatar (1 of 10)

Each day this week, we will be having capsule reviews of 2 of the 10 films nominated for Best Picture. They will be featured in the official, alpabetical order.


Avatar was released in theatres on December 18th, and is slated to come to DVD in May. We have not previously published reviews of this title.

_______________________________

Avatar Review By John C.

***3/4 (out of 4)

As a piece of entertainment, I loved it. It’s visually stunning, with a few moments of absolute greatness. At 163 minutes, it never dragged and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Though I can’t quite give it 4 stars, because I honestly think there was room for improvement. It simply isn’t perfect.


The film falls short several times due to cheesy dialogue, and the fact that the nearly unobtainable mineral the humans are after is named “Unobtainium”. The new age elements are also a little weird. The overall story just isn’t quite up to the level of the groundbreaking, breathtaking special effects. Though a very good one, it is not the best movie I saw last year.

_____________________________________________

Avatar Review By Erin V.

***2/3 (out of 4)

When I saw Avatar, there was not a doubt in my mind that I had seen a visually stunning film. But, I was not fully blown away, as some have been with the film, when I walked out of the theatre. I really liked the film, but other than the effects, I didn't find it to be totally solid all the way through. A lot of the dialogue sounded kind of fake, and I don't just mean the parts in Na'vi. The acting by some of the actors, Steven Lang and Michelle Rodriguez in particular, was stereotyped and over the top I found, and the music while technically good, was not all that memorable like that of other huge blockbusters that make history. I also found some of the film a bit too pushy and strange, like their link to the tree, but on the other hand, the storyline overall was pretty standard, and I wish that it had been something more unique.


On it's side though, at over 2 1/2 hours it kept me interested and like I said, the scenes - including the battle sequence at the end of course - were quite stunning look-wise. Don't get me wrong with a lot of what I have said though. I did really like the film, but also think that it has been over hyped by many. Was it the best film of last year? In my mind, no. Is it going to go down in film history? Yes, and I must say for it's achievements, deservedly so.

_____________________________________________

Avatar Review By Nicole

***1/2 (out of 4)

N/A

_____________________________________________

Avatar Review By Maureen

***1/2 (out of 4)

N/A

_____________________________________________

Avatar Review By Tony

***1/2 (out of 4)

N/A

_____________________________________________

Consensus: Avatar is incredibly entertaining and the special effects are groundbreaking, but there were things that could have been improved. Though at this point it is the front runner for Best Picture, along with The Hurt Locker, it is not the best movie of last year. ***1/2 (Out of 4)

No comments: